FalconEarlyBirds~The Round Body Years 1960-1963 1/2

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Moderated By: bob  &  bkmaurer

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Just a quick "What do you think?"  (Read 1066 times)

FalconPride

Just a quick "What do you think?"
« on: Dec 13, 2013, 08:12:19 PM »

I am considering painting the inside portion of the side moldings red (to carry the interior color out). My main emphasis is to keep the car "pretty much original". I have seen pictures of others done this way and really like the look. What's your opinion? And if I move forward on this, what do you think is the "proper" way to do it?  (ie air brush or??).

Thanks for your opinion (s)...they do mean alot.

oldbleu

• Atascadero, CA
Re: Just a quick "What do you think?"
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2013, 02:55:43 AM »

I would think how you go about getting the paint to stick to the trim would play a part in how you will go about the whole process.

Do you plan on removing the trim or will you be painting it on the car? As I recall, the trim is made of stainless steel and it looks like you have polished it up nicely. Getting the paint to stay on the polished metal surface might be a challenge. Taking the trim off the car will simplify the prepping and painting, but the actual removing of the trim can be a major hassle. Leaving the trim on the car just might necessitate masking the entire boy to keep the red overspray from getting on that shiny black paint.

Prepping the molding properly will help keep the paint where you want it for a long time. Doing it on the car will be tricky. It would also be nice to bake the freshly painted parts to increase the adhesion of the paint to the metal.

I would vote for leaving it like it is, similar to the picture below.  You could also paint the red in the arrows black and call it good. That would be the easy way out, but that is probably not what you want to hear. The red would look good, but I am not sure it is worth the time, trouble and expense to get it done.  However, these cars are mostly a labor of love so.......... ???

FalconPride

Re: Just a quick "What do you think?"
« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2013, 10:47:46 AM »

I would have to agree that it was my concern of how to do the paint (remove the trim or leave it on).  The front spears have been painted (by hand) and I can assure you they are a 20 footer. But, with that said, I do like the concept of just the spears being painted. The body moldings are in great shape except for those spears. They have the usual 50 year old cracks and wear. I know they can be purchased.....for a cost. Maybe I'll just leave well enough alone. I have to many "mechanical" things that need addressed first.

Sometimes I just can't turn off the thought process.

Thanks for the reply Bleu...and I love that picture you posted.
Pages: [1]   Go Up