FalconEarlyBirds~The Round Body Years 1960-1963 1/2

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This is a Ford Falcon Enthusiast site only, Not Affiliated with Ford Motor Company...

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: And then.....depression set it....  (Read 1103 times)

jaw1962

• Monticello, IL
And then.....depression set it....
« on: May 01, 2014, 12:12:36 PM »

I'm bummed.  I thought I inspected the underside of my car very well this time.  I saw the issues with the rear floor pans but saw no other red flags with the structure of the car.  I took my new baby over to the body shop to see what he could do to make the driver door shut a little better (sticks out just a little at the bottom when closed) and he said those dreaded words.  The car must be sagging to cause to door to not line up properly when closed.  I need to make an appointment for him to really inspect it.  He has done awesome work for me on my last two classics so I trust him.

The underside of the first classic I bought was a complete mess.  Me being young and naive on old cars, I totally missed it.  This one is not any where near as bad, but I thought I had a good one this time.  Not looking forward to this estimate.  It was one thing I thought I did not have to worry about this time when I was going thru all the modifications I would make while looking it over to buy it.

I hope you guys can throw some luck my way.   :(
Jim
63 Futura Convertible

Veach

Re: And then.....depression set it....
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 07:36:52 PM »

If your Car was sagging wouldn't both doors to doing about the same. And if it really is couldn't you weld on a pair of homemade subframe connectors like what I put under mine wasn't hard or costly and it don't get much stiffer
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 07:40:50 PM by Veach »
Post Something It Don't Hurt

jaw1962

• Monticello, IL
Re: And then.....depression set it....
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 06:57:47 AM »

agreed on both points.  The passenger door is not fitting perfect either, no gap at the top, but not as bad as the driver side.  I could have lived with it longer.

I like your solution and would do the same if I knew how to weld.  Heck, I don't even know any welders.  Last time I welded was 35 years ago in high school, and I was pretty bad back then.  :)  Now if I have to cut something off (lead springs) with a torch, I'm down with that.  :)  My buddy at the body shop didn't think it would be a huge deal.   I suspect he is thinking the same thing you did.  Guess I'll find out when I return from vacation.
Jim
63 Futura Convertible
Pages: [1]   Go Up