FalconEarlyBirds~The Round Body Years 1960-1963 1/2

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Moderated By: bob  &  bkmaurer

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: '63 1/2 front bumper bracket to frame bolts question  (Read 5062 times)

oldgrezmonke

• Finger , TN
'63 1/2 front bumper bracket to frame bolts question
« on: May 28, 2014, 04:29:44 PM »

I pulled my driver side fender to reseal the cowl seams . Of course I had to take off the bumper . I found some oddities with the fasteners and I can't find a picture or sketch . Here's what I have - 0 ??? flat washers , 1 3/4  : : ) lock washers and 4 7/16" bolts about 1 1/2" threaded with "starter" tips and downsized heads [factory ?] . Presuming there should be flat washers was there anything special about them like extra thick , cupped or a ridged/gripper type surface ?
First car - 1961 Falcon Deluxe 4door , had 1968-73
Present - 1963 1/2 Falcon 4door base model , since 2009 ,
frequent driver , work in progress
Yes I like 4doors
Lifetime member # 117 NSRA
Former ASE certified mechanic
FCA member # 13677

oldbleu

• Atascadero, CA
Re: '63 1/2 front bumper bracket to frame bolts question
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 08:28:52 PM »

I can't figure out what bolts you are referring to. Fender bolts or bumper bolts?  :-\

Can you post a picture of the area of concern and I should be able to tell you what the factory put in there.    :D

oldgrezmonke

• Finger , TN
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 09:15:31 AM »

Fender bolts or bumper bolts? 
Front bumper bracket to frame bolts is the questioned area .

Below pic is all that was holding the brackets on - 4 bolts and 1 2/3 lockwashers .

I presume there should be flat washers but wondered if there was anything special about them that I could try to duplicate . Obviously the bumper had been off before , the bumper face to bracket crush washers were on wrong too - between the nuts and the brackets  ??? .
Yes I like 4doors
FCA member # 13677

oldgrezmonke

• Finger , TN
« Reply #3 on: Jun 01, 2014, 10:25:51 PM »

Well it took a while but I finally found pictures of the front bumper bracket fasteners . There should have been what appear to be flat washers , so I got the thickest grade 5 ones I could find in the hardware store plus 4 new lock washers . I figure any flat washers are better than none :o even if not quite what the factory used . Now to seal up the 1"x5/16" gap [a factory goof ?] that was no longer quite sealed by the old sealer . I made and will pop rivet on a small "cover" to minimize the gaps that have to be sealed - after some rust proofing of course .
Yes I like 4doors
FCA member # 13677

oldbleu

• Atascadero, CA
« Reply #4 on: Jun 03, 2014, 12:21:22 AM »

OGM,

I have two '63 1/2 Falcons and they both have the exact same front bumper brackets and bolt configuration.

Each of the front bumper brackets on each side of the car are secured to the frame, such that it is, by three bolts. Two of them are similar to what you have in your picture and screw right into a blind nut mounted in the frame. The middle bolt is different and not only helps to secure both the inner and outer bumper brackets, but it also holds a "U" shaped bracket that straddles the frame. The long middle bolt slides through the holes in both sides of the "U" bracket, both of the bumper brackets and the frame. It is secured by a lock nut on the inner side. Look closely at the above image and you can just barely make out the nut on the end of the middle bolt. The "U" bracket has a small spacer welded to it on the inside. This spacer goes next to the bumper bracket right above the lip on the outer portion of the frame. The spacer takes up the space where the bolt goes through so it doesn't hit the frame lip.  I am assuming the "U" bracket was used to secure the car during the shipping process.

In this picture, you can see the heads of all three bolts. The spacer I have been referring to is difficult to see, but the frame lip is obvious. 

As mentioned, the front and rear bolts on my cars are the same as what you show in your picture. Each of those bolts screw into the frame and make use of a split style lock washer under the bolt head to keep them secure.  More photos if you need them.

oldgrezmonke

• Finger , TN
« Reply #5 on: Jun 03, 2014, 09:05:39 AM »

Good , there was nothing special about the flat washers and there were 1 2/3  : : ) lock washers to mimic so all is ok there now . I knew there was a right side side swipe type accident in the past but no frame damage . Taking the left fender off has revealed evidence of a "fender bender" so the bumper had to be removed perhaps even replaced . Until now I had not paid much attention to the front bumper other than wanting to do a bit of adjustment . Besides the misplaced crush washers , I found later the lamp wiring on both sides had been cut , poorly stripped [dull knife?] , twisted back together with no connector of any kind  ??? and taped  :bangh: .  That will some time to rectify - I thought it was just taped over connector blocks like underhood .
 That "U" bracket and bolt is missing [anybody got an extra set ?] , perhaps left off by the ham-hand who fixed [nope not calling it repaired] the bumper . Is the bolt for that bracket the same diameter as the others ?
Yes I like 4doors
FCA member # 13677

oldbleu

• Atascadero, CA
« Reply #6 on: Sep 13, 2014, 12:58:25 PM »

Since the front bumper was off the Ranchero for the trans cooler installation, I went ahead and took a picture of the "U" brackets and related fasteners before they went back on the car.

The above picture shows the brackets and the stock Ford mounting hardware. The large bolt that goes through the "U" bracket is 1/2" diameter by 4 1/2" long. The threads are coarse and the nut is of the locking type.  Notice that the "U" bracket has a single spacer welded to the inside.  

The other four bolts in the picture are 7/16" in diameter (coarse thread) with a shank length of 1 3/4", including the self starting tip. Each of these bolts came with a lock washer (no flat washer).

Both of my 1963 1/2 Falcons have these unusual brackets. It would be interesting to know when Ford actually began putting these things on the cars and for what purpose. Other than helping to secure the car during shipping, I can't think of a good reason that would justify the added expense.

« Last Edit: Sep 13, 2014, 01:12:42 PM by oldbleu »

Bob

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: Sep 13, 2014, 06:53:07 PM »

I think most of the time they had been taken off at the dealers and returned to the manufacturing plant for reuse. That's why you don't see them on all the early Fords you run across.   That's the best idea I can think of.

oldbleu

• Atascadero, CA
« Reply #8 on: Sep 15, 2014, 11:38:13 AM »

Bob,

That sounds like a reasonable explanation. I would think that the shipping costs involved in getting these relatively heavy parts back to the Ford plant would make the whole process impractical.  However, stranger things have happened.

I am wondering if these things showed up on other year Falcons? My experience is limited to the two late '63 Falcons in my garage. I powdercoated mine and stuck them back on the car. They do come in handy for securing the front of the Falcon to a tow dolly.

I have dragged both of my Falcons all over getting work done on them when they didn't run.  The "U" brackets make it easy to secure the front of the car to the dolly.  If you look closely at the photo, you can see the chains running up to the brackets.

« Last Edit: Sep 15, 2014, 11:46:27 AM by oldbleu »

Bob

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: Sep 15, 2014, 09:10:11 PM »

I think they could also be used to pull the cars out of a ditch. I had a 1960 , 1964 and 1965 Falcon that didn't have any, but I had a 64 Fairlane that had them on and a friend had a 64 Galaxie with them. I don't think they shipped them back, they more than likely went back with the car hauler on his next trip to the dealer.    

tonfro

« Reply #10 on: Sep 15, 2014, 10:00:47 PM »

Those brackets were for hauling the car on a car carrier. They generally were not removed because it was a waste of time. Ford probably did pay the dealer for removing the bracket as a part of the PDI but Ford didn't care as it wasn't hurting anything. Definitely would not be returned to factory. I do remember that Ford Tauruses had removable brackets and the only time they were removed was by rental car companies. That caused undue damage to those rental cars as they are hauled around several times in their rental lives and guys would hook the chain wherever it would hook. Ask me how I know this.
gt

Terry L. Rahn

• Loganville, WI 53943
« Reply #11 on: Oct 20, 2014, 10:57:55 AM »

Chris,

Those tie down loops have been on every original 60-65 Falcon vehicles I have had here. So they were a factory install for shipping purposes as GT mentioned.

Terry L. Rahn
Pages: [1]   Go Up