FalconEarlyBirds~The Round Body Years 1960-1963 1/2

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This is a Ford Falcon Enthusiast site only, Not Affiliated with Ford Motor Company...

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gas spillage when filling up  (Read 3932 times)

jaw1962

• Monticello, IL
Gas spillage when filling up
« on: Jun 10, 2014, 11:46:37 AM »

When I bought my car I saw there was no paint on the area under the gas cap.  The first time I filled it up on the way home I understood why.  I suppose due to the angle, the gas tends to splash out while filling if not VERY careful.  Anyway, I repainted that area but never got around to applying my Clearcoat.  Last fill-up I had an accident again and it took the paint off.  My question is this...If I had gotten the clearcoat on, would that have been enough to stop the gas from removing the paint?  I didn't know if that provides any better protection against gas spills.  I've thought of looking for some kind of adhesive backed plastic or vinyl to cover the area, but wondered if it would still look like crap if I spilled gas on it.  Am I the only one who has this problem?  :(
Jim
63 Futura Convertible

oldbleu

• Atascadero, CA
Re: Gas spillage when filling up
« Reply #1 on: Jun 10, 2014, 01:32:14 PM »

Gasoline spillage due to "burping" when filling up is a special Falcon problem. My sedan is worse than my Ranchero, but I don't know why. I have found that certain pump nozzles can make the situation better or worse. In any case, you do need to use extra care when fueling a stock Falcon.

There is a gas tank vent on sedans and hardtops is located near where the filler hose connects to the gas tank. It is clearly visible in the above photo. The vent tube is typically partially hidden behind the trunk latch striker support sheet metal.

In the picture above, you can see the silver vent tube running down the side of the right tail light area.  Typically there is a short piece of rubber hose that connects to a 5/16" metal tube that runs under the rear trunk lip and ends up sticking out of the body behind the right corner of the rear bumper. If this vent line is eliminated or becomes plugged up, getting gas to flow into the tank will be made much more difficult. There is a long list of potential items that can plug up a vent tube.   

Some guys have installed a Mustang gas tank and modified the filler. Another alternative would be to move the filler inside the trunk allowing for a straight shot down into the tank. Many have gone this route while others do not want to deal with the potential safety issues that this modification can create.

As for your paint problem, it is not normal for gasoline to remove paint in one exposure. My experience has been that poor body preparation will usually make for easy paint removal regardless of the chemical it is exposed to. I would have a professional prep and paint the area of the body around and under the fuel filler. That will give you the best chance for any paint, single or two stage, to last.    : : )

Pages: [1]   Go Up