FalconEarlyBirds~The Round Body Years 1960-1963 1/2

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This is a Ford Falcon Enthusiast site only, Not Affiliated with Ford Motor Company...

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Falcon bumper supliers ?  (Read 3851 times)

Bob

• Administrator
Falcon bumper supliers ?
« on: Dec 13, 2015, 09:34:25 AM »

I know some one that may be looking for a 1961 to 1963 Falcon rear bumper in the near future. He may go with a new reproduction unless he could find a good used straight one with decent chrome at a reasonable price. We did some looking at the Falcon parts houses and was wondering if any one on the forum bought bumpers from them and from who. Also would like to know if you'd buy another one from them, is the chrome any good, does it last ?

bill pierce

Re: Falcon bumper supliers ?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2015, 08:05:39 PM »

Bob,

I have the same question.

The rear bumper on my 63 has the chrome pealing off. It appears to be a reproduction to me. It has the numbers (2 12 F3) stamped on the back side, and no FOMOCO stamp as most of the factory parts have. It looks like the chrome was just real low quality. maybe not even prepared properly.

Am I better off having it re-plated? or do I buy another repop? Has anyone purchased the one that FalconParts.com is selling now? http://www.falconparts.com/ford-falcon- ... 3p7127.htm

oldbleu

• Atascadero, CA
« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2015, 01:41:29 AM »

The number on your bumper just might be a date code typical of what Ford stamped into their body parts. The code might translate to February 12, 1963. I have never been able to make such a number out on any of my bumpers, but numbers just like that are all over the sheet metal on my '63 Falcon sedan. The date code on your VIN/Warranty plate might help to answer the question. Ford stopped production on the '63 Falcons sometime around June of '63. If your date of manufacture is between late February and early June of 1963, you might have your answer.

Bob

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2015, 03:54:38 AM »

Bill,  I think oldbleu may very well be right with his answer to the numbers stamped on your bumper, it's probably a Ford manufacture date code. I also think that you have the answer to why the chrome is peeling off, remember if it's an original Ford bumper it's almost 55 years old and if it wasn't properly cleaned before chroming that would cause the peeling. I had both my bumpers and numerous other parts re chromed when I first put my car together back in 2000, I had Central plating in St. Louis, Mo. do it and the chrome is still good on them, it cost 200 dollars a bumper. As long as your bumpers are not bent and you find a reputable chrome shop, I would look at re chroming.  I would check prices to have your original bumpers re chromed. I live about 32 miles away from the chrome shop, I drove my parts to them I didn't ship both ways. If your not close to a chrome shop I would think the shipping cost would be the downfall. I don't know if you use ebay or not but ebay has several bumpers repop and re chromed.   
« Last Edit: Dec 14, 2015, 04:05:13 AM by Bob »

bill pierce

« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2015, 08:29:44 PM »

The vin tag works out like this
BODY CODE - Body 62A = 2 Door Sedan (Bench)

EXTERIOR COLOR - Color M = Corinthian White

INTERIOR TRIM CODE - Trim 923 = Light Blue Crush Vinyl and Medium Blue Band Pattern Cloth

DATE OF MANUFACTURE - DATE F = June 15, 1962

there is a newer looking sticker on the back side of the bumper I can't quite read without pulling the bumper off. Its white with black letters. It kinda looks like it could have been printed with a modern label maker. That also had me wondering.

There is really only one chrome shop left in town. They do real good work but quoted me $500. The bumper has no dents, but one spot that looks like it has some good size grinding marks under the chrome right on the driver side end.

oldbleu

• Atascadero, CA
« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2015, 01:43:58 AM »

Bill,

If you are using one of the more common internet VIN decoders, then there a a very good chance that the date information that you entered has come out wrong. Typically, these decoders cause your '63 information to come out as a '62. This also happens when I plug my information into one of these decoders. In your instance, the build date should have come out as June 15, 1963, making your car a '63 1/2. If that is the case, it also was one of the last round body Falcons built.

One way to confirm this is to look for the upgrades that were only applied to the Falcons made after mid-January, 1963. One such modification is the position of the battery. All Falcons assembled before January '63 had the battery mounted parallel to the engine crankshaft. The later ones had the battery mounted parallel to the front radiator support. This modification is necessary for the V-8 engines, but was applied to all Falcons.

The picture above shows what I am referring to. This is an engine compartment photo of a Falcon Ranchero built in February of 1963. In addition to the battery mount, there are about a half dozen other changes made to the '63 1/2 Falcons that are relatively easy to spot.

My point here is that the number on your bumper very possibly is a factory date code and your bumper is original for your car. It would appear that your car was built in June and the bumper was stamped in February. The rest is history. That's my story an I am sticking to it.   8)

Bob

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: Dec 15, 2015, 06:40:51 AM »

Bill,  a good chrome shop will remove the grinding marks before they re chrome the bumper.  That's a lot to re chrome a bumper,  :o 500 hundred dollars. I'm working nights,  on Wednesday I'm going to call the chrome shop I use and see what they charge now.  For 500 bucks you may be better off buying a re pop. 

Bob

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: Dec 15, 2015, 01:58:30 PM »

I called Central Plating of St Louis today and was quoted $325.00 for a 1963 Falcon bumper with a 3 week turn around time. The first time in 2000 they charged $200 a bumper.

bill pierce

« Reply #8 on: Dec 15, 2015, 08:28:04 PM »

after more investigating I believe you guys are correct. The sticker on the back appears to be old. Its thick and the font doesn't look modern. Also as you pointed out my battery holder sets side ways like the later 63 vintage cars.

Picture of the sticker

Date code

This bumper is well worth saving. There are no dents just some peeling chrome

oldbleu

• Atascadero, CA
« Reply #9 on: Dec 15, 2015, 08:40:50 PM »

The "F" in the date stamp is the 6th letter in the alphabet. Connect the dots here and what do you get? February 12, 1963?

I have never seen the CB3246 sticker before so I can't comment on that one.

oldgrezmonke

• Finger , TN
« Reply #10 on: Dec 15, 2015, 08:56:21 PM »

June 15, 1963, making your '63 1/2 one of the last round body Falcons built.
The date on mine is 6/28/63 . When did the '63 production end ?
First car - 1961 Falcon Deluxe 4door , had 1968-73
Present - 1963 1/2 Falcon 4door base model , since 2009 ,
frequent driver , work in progress
Yes I like 4doors
Lifetime member # 117 NSRA
Former ASE certified mechanic
FCA member # 13677

oldbleu

• Atascadero, CA
« Reply #11 on: Dec 15, 2015, 10:47:00 PM »

The best I can come up with is that '63 1/2 Falcon production ended in July of 1963. I haven't been able to find an exact date. Several plants had Falcon assembly lines so it is possible that they might not have all stopped on the same day. Typically, auto manufacturers in the US stop production for two weeks sometime in July to allow for the installation of the new tooling for the upcoming model year. Many UAW workers get a mandatory vacation during this time.

When the '63 US Falcon production ended, many of the sheet metal dies and other production equipment were shipped off to Argentina where round body Falcons were produced for several more years.   

Bob

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: Dec 16, 2015, 06:45:37 AM »

Bill those stamped numbers and letter on the bumper is a part production date, you can tell just by looking at it.

2 month February,  12 day of week,  F sixty,  3 year 

3MH  I have no idea,  maybe the plant of manufacture.

oldbleu,    is it possible the CB 3246  is an inspectors label # identifying who OK'd the part for use ?
« Last Edit: Dec 16, 2015, 06:55:55 AM by Bob »

oldbleu

• Atascadero, CA
« Reply #13 on: Dec 16, 2015, 04:53:33 PM »

Bob,

I don't have a clue what the "CB3246" sticker is all about. It might be some kind of identifier from a company that re-chromed the bumper at some point. I have not noticed a sticker like that on any of my other old Fords. Curious......... 

bill pierce

« Reply #14 on: Dec 19, 2015, 09:33:04 PM »

I have some conformation on the date code. I bought a freshly re-plated 1963 factory bumper from a chrome shop in California. at $300 it was much more reasonably priced.

Here is a picture of the date code on it. 6/17/63. we can now say with certainty that those stamped numbers are the factory Ford numbers.

New plating looks great!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up