FalconEarlyBirds~The Round Body Years 1960-1963 1/2

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Moderated By: bob  &  bkmaurer

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Changing the windshield gasket ?  (Read 1616 times)

papawfalcon

Changing the windshield gasket ?
« on: Feb 09, 2016, 11:56:49 PM »

After several years of not being able to spend money on my Ranchero. I bite the bullet. I am looking for information on how to store my windshield and what the average cost to reinstall my windshield. I making a list (a budget if you will) to finish my Ranchero!
FALCONS AND RANCHERO'S FOREVER

Bob

• Administrator
Re: Changing the windshield gasket ?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2016, 09:49:45 AM »

It's been about ten or more years ago that I had a new windshield and gasket put in my 1963, with out looking up the bills I think it was about 300 dollars for the new windshield, gasket and installation. As for as storing the windshield just put it some place safe. If your going to have it done just leave it in the car, let them remove it and worry about breaking it.   

papawfalcon

« Reply #2 on: Feb 10, 2016, 10:36:17 AM »

I thought maybe I should prep the area around the windshield. To get it ready to paint.

Bob

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: Feb 10, 2016, 02:08:37 PM »

You don't say who is going to do the painting,  you or a body shop. If you yourself is going to remove the windshield paint the car and then put the windshield back in, I would remove the windshield and prep the area. I don't know how much money you have to spend on the project,  but if a body shop is going to do the painting have them remove windshield and prep that area.   

oldbleu

• Atascadero, CA
« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2016, 04:17:23 PM »

Here are a few thoughts......

First off, make sure your old windshield is worth putting back in your car. After going through the expense of removing and installing the old glass, it might be worth the extra bucks to put a new windshield. I did that with my Falcon and I am not sorry. The new glass makes the whole car seem new. 

I have heard of guys trying to re-use the windshield gasket, but I think that is asking for trouble. Taking the windshield out is relatively easy using a sharp box cutter type knife or similar cutting tool. Having a cheap pair of suction cup handles is also a good idea. You should be able to get the glass out without breaking it if you take your time and are careful. That should save you anywhere between $50-$100. As for storage, I should try to keep it in an upright position like it was in the car. Setting it down flat can increase the risk of damage. The guys who haul windshields around always transport them around in a rack that holds them upright. 

Installation costs can be all over the map. I bundled my Falcon windshield together with installation. I think I got a better deal. My installer also sells auto glass so there was an opportunity to save some money by cutting a deal to buy the glass from him and having him install it. Some of the newer glass installers are not very experienced with installing windshields in older cars. Make sure your guy is competent and that he knows that if he breaks it, he is on the hook for replacing it on his dime. A guy in business for himself is usually in a much better position to give you a deal as compared to a large commercial auto glass company, especially on the labor.

A Falcon windshield can be a challenge to install for somebody doing it for the first time, especially if it has the stainless molding embedded in the seal. I am sure you have read the thread I posted on this subject. If not, there might be some ideas you can get from that thread. Unless you are very lucky, you will probably have to use a reproduction windshield gasket. Do your homework before purchasing because they are not all created equal. A poorly fitting gasket seal can drive your installer crazy and cause breakage during installation. Generally the ones sold by the large vintage car parts stores work well. I say this because they would be fools to continue to sell a poorly made gasket if previous customers were having problems with it.

As for budgeting for this project, you would be best to shop around as much as possible. The key is to find an installer that is experienced with this kind of job. This process can easily become a nightmare if you get the wrong guy. You could always stop into the hotrod shops in your area and see who they use for their glass installation. Anybody who can do custom glass work should be able to do your Falcon.

papawfalcon

« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2016, 09:46:28 PM »

Thanks Bob and old blue. My son put a new gasket in his '62 and "CRACKED IT". That said I appreciate someone who knows how.I guess I need make phone calls. Thanks.

Veach

« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2016, 11:47:25 PM »

Changed mine last year if I remember right the gasket was 47 dollars and the windshield and install was just over 200. Call a good body shop buy your windshield and gasket thro them. I went with the green tint and was very happy with it
Post Something It Don't Hurt
Pages: [1]   Go Up