FalconEarlyBirds~The Round Body Years 1960-1963 1/2

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Moderated By: bob  &  bkmaurer

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My rear license plate almost fell off  (Read 914 times)

oldgrezmonke

• Finger , TN
My rear license plate almost fell off
« on: Jan 12, 2017, 09:19:57 AM »

Here's something to check . A couple days ago I noticed the rear license plate {stamped from fairly thin aluminum & on there 40K+ miles} on my late '63 was bowed out away from the bumper . Thinking something I drove over had bumped it I reached down to bend it back and noticed it had developed fatigue cracks around the screw heads & about to fall off . It sticks down below the bumper into the flow of air about an inch & I guess that seemed ok in the '60s when all the plates were made of relatively thick steel & replaced often . I've reinforced the plate - fender washers & pieces of metal plumbers' tape riveted on - but will get a replacement come registration renewal time .
I have made up a simple flat bracket {see picture} to extend down from where there are supposed to be little rubber bumpers for the plate to have a bottom attachment so the plate won't be flexing in the air blast . It's threatening rain here for the foreseeable future so I don't know when I'll put it on .
« Last Edit: Jan 12, 2017, 09:28:14 AM by oldgrezmonke »
First car - 1961 Falcon Deluxe 4door , had 1968-73
Present - 1963 1/2 Falcon 4door base model , since 2009 ,
frequent driver , work in progress
Yes I like 4doors
Lifetime member # 117 NSRA
Former ASE certified mechanic
FCA member # 13677

oldbleu

• Atascadero, CA
Re: My rear license plate almost fell off
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2017, 12:07:40 AM »

I am not sure adding back side support to just the top portion of the back side of the license plate will help very much. I can't remember what I did for my Falcons, but I am pretty sure all I did was modify the mount with a pair of welded in blind nuts (1/4"-20). My original California black plates are not thin aluminum like the current plates.

I would suggest you could look into using a thin metal (stainless steel) license plate frame which should stiffen everything up especially if the frame made use of all 4 mounting bolt holes. The only problem with that idea is the opening in the bumper is only slightly wider than a typical license plate. You will probably have to look around for the right frame if you choose to go that route. In any case, make sure you sure to use the largest washer possible, within reason, under the head of the upper two mounting bolts. I would also recommend stainless steel fasteners including nylock nuts.

If you are going to go through the trouble of making a doubler, maybe you could make one that is basically the same size as your license plate. That way you can install bolts in the two lower mounting holes which should go a long way toward stopping the license plate from flexing in the wind. Of course, all bets are off if you are letting the license plate come in contact with the pavement or just about anything else, but you already know about that.  :)

oldgrezmonke

• Finger , TN
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2017, 07:15:17 AM »

I am not sure adding back side support to just the top portion of the back side of the license plate will help very much.
 If you are going to go through the trouble of making a doubler, maybe you could make one that is basically the same size as your license plate. That way you can install bolts in the two lower mounting holes which should go a long way toward stopping the license plate from flexing in the wind. Of course, all bets are off if you are letting the license plate come in contact with the pavement or just about anything else, but you already know about that.  :)

That's basically what I'm doing . The top mount is ok - the bottom waving in the air flow is not .
 The plate alone is a very tight fit at the top of the opening so I didn't want to fight with stuffing any extra thickness in there . The bracket I designed and had made up at a friendly local metal shop will be attached to those "rubber bumper" holes near the bottom of the tag area and extend down to allow the tag to be attached both top & bottom so no flexing from the air movement . The bracket was made from part of a damaged road sign about 4 times as thick as the plate & very stiff so that will also help prevent damage from the occasional piece of cardboard , couch cushion , mattress* or other similar items that can't be avoided .
 *Yes - it's a scary childhood memory .
Yes I like 4doors
FCA member # 13677

smudvapor

• Scott's Toy Collection
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2017, 09:06:11 PM »

Sounds like a winner to me.  If you get a chance take a pic of what the bracket looks like before you put the license plate back on. (It it's not too late.)

oldgrezmonke

• Finger , TN
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2017, 04:38:22 AM »

If you get a chance take a pic of what the bracket looks like before you put the license plate back on
I just rounded up the locknuts , screws & washers yesterday . The weather has turned rainy here . I only have a canopy under which to work so it may be tomorrow or Mon. before I might get back to it . As mentioned in the first post I reinforced the tag so no big hurry . That's a picture of the bracket in the first post . It's now painted flat black is the only difference .
Yes I like 4doors
FCA member # 13677

oldgrezmonke

• Finger , TN
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2017, 12:23:37 PM »

The rain held off & my back co-operated so here are some pics . I'm not quite through yet because I decided to give the factory bracket that holds the light and upper part of the tag a little touch-up . 
Obviously that's not the legal tag ; just for illustration - it's usually on the front & I guess I ought to give it a little cleaning  : : ) .
Yes I like 4doors
FCA member # 13677

oldbleu

• Atascadero, CA
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2017, 02:13:44 PM »

I see what you are doing now. The pictures sure help. Do all four license plate holes now line up with a mounting holes on the car?

oldgrezmonke

• Finger , TN
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2017, 05:03:21 PM »

Do all four license plate holes now line up with a mounting holes on the car?
Yes , the upper tag holes to the original spots and the bottom ones to the lower holes provided by the bracket/plate I devised .
Yes I like 4doors
FCA member # 13677

oldgrezmonke

• Finger , TN
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2017, 01:21:25 PM »

Well it doesn't quite work right . The plate bows when everything is tightened down . I finally settled on a couple pieces of plumbers' tape with one end attached to a "rubber bumper" hole and the other to a plate hole . That prevents the movement that could lead to fatigue .
Yes I like 4doors
FCA member # 13677
Pages: [1]   Go Up