FalconEarlyBirds~The Round Body Years 1960-1963 1/2

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New member from Port Hope  (Read 846 times)

guysclassics

• Guy LaHaye
New member from Port Hope
« on: Jan 16, 2017, 11:58:31 AM »

Hi fellow falconers I am a long time car enthusiast starting with a 1934 Ford 2 door coach when I was 15. Drove it around the farmers field and then to high school. That old V8 flathead would turn the tires just fine. I have restored a number of cars over the last 50 years, mostly Ford and Gm with only one Plymouth Cuda in the mix. I bought the 1965 Falcon I currently have from a local fellow that brought it up from California. My 1968 Mustang went out the door on a Wednesday and my Falcon arrived on Saturday. It was good enough to drive after a couple of wheel cylinders and a water pump for the original 289 2 barrel Auto. Drove it around to make sure all was good then started the resto-mod to what it is today. Before doing any body work I installed a 1988 Mustang 5.0 HO with fuel injection and a T5 transmission and drove it to make sure all was correct. Then I started a full restoration on the body including the rotisserie to get into every crevice, Originally red and now a bright blue metallic. Colour sanded with lots of polishing to get a great shine. I also put a 4.11 full locker axle into it to keep me going straight down the road.
I look forward to chatting with you. I reside in Port Hope Ontario, just east of Toronto.

oldbleu

• Atascadero, CA
Re: New member from Port Hope
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2017, 12:52:49 AM »

Welcome to the Falcon Early Birds! I love your Falcon. I always wanted a '65 and if I had one, it would build it just like yours. I like anything blue and the injected 5.0 is perfect for that car. What rearend gears are you running and maybe some pictures of the engine and transmission when you get a chance?   : : )

guysclassics

• Guy LaHaye
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2017, 05:10:20 PM »

Hi thanks, I am running a 4.11 full posi in there and it hooks up very nicely. I am having trouble attaching photos tonight so will try later. I tried twice and craps out.

guysclassics

• Guy LaHaye
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2017, 05:11:34 PM »

Try a picture again.

guysclassics

• Guy LaHaye
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2017, 05:16:39 PM »

The intake is an Edelbrock GT and lets more air in. Running a set of Headman headers as well. I had problems with the external fuel pump being too noisy and overheating issues where it would just stop, so I just received a new Spectra fuel tank with built in fuel pump. Specs and feedback on this system indicate I should have no issues. Best price was from Rockauto.

oldbleu

• Atascadero, CA
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2017, 11:48:26 PM »

What kind of RPM's are you pulling when motoring along at 70 mph? I have a wide ratio toploader 4 speed in my '63 which does not have an overdrive final gear. I had to put a 3.0 gear in the rearend to keep the engine speed within reason on the freeway.

I used the Hedman shorties on my install. I don't have the expertise to install the Ford factory wiring for the fuel injection so I went with an MSD Atomic setup. 

I also had to deal with the EFI fuel pump. I wound up with a pump in the gas tank. I makes a lot of racket until it gets up to pressure and then I don't know it is running.

I could not figure out how to mount a pump inside a stock Falcon tank so I went with an aftermarket version that was made for an in tank pump. The fuel gauge sender is mounted up top.

guysclassics

• Guy LaHaye
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2017, 01:09:10 PM »

Nice job under the hood and the truck looks great as well. My car runs about 2300 to 2400 at 70mph in 5th gear, so not too bad. I am keeping an eye out for a gear set around 3.55, still good pull but will drop the RPM's by about 300. The fuel tank I bought from Rockauto (F28AFI made in Canada) is actually for a '60s Mustang with the filler neck directly under the fill tube so I had to rework my fuel neck a few degrees straight down instead of being angled to the right. The tank is litterly a bolt in everything lines up. The tank comes with a  built in pump at 75 gallons per hour and the pressure 58 PSI. It also has the fuel level sensor built into the fuel pump assembly mounted into the factory position. The only issue I have with it is the I have an Auto meter type gauge set and the fuel gauge reads half full with the original sender at empty. I have ordered a resistor to bring these two numbers together. The empty on the gauge is 240 ohms and the original sender is 75 ohms. Research says that 386 ohm resistor should correct this. If it does not i will be cutting a hole in the new tank to install the sender that came with my gauge kit.
My job before retirement was involved with automotive wiring and electronic control modules so I had a good handle on what I needed to do to run the electronics for this swap. I even used the fuel shut off system in the trunk in the event of an accident.
Is that a clutch cable coming out of the dash on the drivers side? Mine is further inboard as I used the whole grasshopper assembly with brake and clutch pedals from the '88 Mustang, including the brake booster. Just one little plate to tie the assembly to the dash.
« Last Edit: Jan 18, 2017, 02:11:19 PM by guysclassics »

Veach

« Reply #7 on: Jan 19, 2017, 08:35:48 AM »

Welcome Very Nice Ride
Post Something It Don't Hurt
Pages: [1]   Go Up