FalconEarlyBirds~The Round Body Years 1960-1963 1/2

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Moderated By: bob  &  bkmaurer

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Headliner  (Read 754 times)

Veach

Headliner
« on: Feb 16, 2017, 09:17:53 PM »

Say my Boys and myself are 6 to 6'7" tall and our heads hit the headliner. Has anyone ever put a coustom headliner in ? What I was thinking is doing away with the bows and new headliner I bought and putting in a coustom one. I was thinking ( which is never a good thing ) is making it kinda round above the windlace and making it round but not all the way to the top. Using the back glass in the tailgate as a guide. Sorry 2dr wagon I'm talking about. Then use the windlace ( hope that's how it's spelled ) to tie it all together. Has anyone seen or done something like this ? if so I sure could use the help. If not ideas would be very welcomed
Thanks Veach BTW the Car in paint looks very nice pictures coming soon
« Last Edit: Feb 16, 2017, 09:22:50 PM by Veach »
Post Something It Don't Hurt

oldbleu

• Atascadero, CA
Re: Headliner
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2017, 03:57:01 AM »

I don't think there is much headroom to gained by eliminating the headliner bows. The distance between the bow and the roof skin is not all that much. One way to pick up some room is to install a front seat (bucket?) that has an adjustable, reclining back. That way you can recline the seat a little and get a little more space between your head and the headliner. This also creates more distance between the driver's chest and the steering wheel. Typically tall people have long arms so this might be a win-win for you.

Another idea is to have whatever seat you are using modified so that the lower seat cushion is made thinner. I know when I did the seats in both Falcons and the truck, I sat up higher because of the new foam and rebuilt seat springs. Having your seat specifically modified to lower the cushion could give you 2 or 3 inches of additional headroom.

Yet another idea is to quit wearing those redneck cowboy hats while you drive. If you absolutely have to wear something on your head while driving, wear a helmet. That way you won't suffer any injuries while bouncing your head off the roof. Just sayin'.....  : : )

Bob

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: Feb 18, 2017, 06:40:29 AM »

You guys show No Mercy what so ever.   ;D

oldbleu

• Atascadero, CA
« Reply #3 on: Feb 18, 2017, 03:46:04 PM »

Veach can take it. He's from Texas.

One other thing to think about. If it was my "ride", I would install some Dynamat or something similar to the underside of the roof like I did with my Falcon sedan. Obviously you will have to do it before you install whatever you decide to do for a headliner. You will not believe how much that stuff does for reducing the noise inside the car when you are driving down the road. It is money well spent and you won't be able to do it once the headliner is in. Without it, that long metal roof will make the car sound like the inside of a drum. Just do it!   8)

Bob

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: Feb 19, 2017, 06:27:13 AM »

I agree,  I didn't put anything in on my hard top and it was a BIG mistake.   :bangh:

Veach

« Reply #5 on: Feb 20, 2017, 09:00:30 PM »

It's not the cowboy hat it's the dang Spurs and yep on the Dynamic for sure. I found a shop near by that will in stall the headliner for 400 so that's the way I'm most likely going. My have to drop the seat down some
One of my Grandsons made an A on the wire welder time to put him to work. All this weather we are having down here in Texas is playing games with my 60 or so year old shop. Had to spend the last few days modifying it some. Pretty soon everything to include myself will have been modified
Three weeks last Friday I let myself run out of sodium. The Doctor said he'd only seen one other person with a sodium level lower live. He said I only beat him by two points so my life has changed some. It's cool to have a ride but it doesn't come close to Family

oldbleu

• Atascadero, CA
« Reply #6 on: Feb 21, 2017, 01:05:57 AM »

Hey Veach.....You thought I was kidding about these storms. As I am typing this, we are getting our butts kicked once again with yet another storm; tons of rain and some pretty good wind. It has been raining here for about a week and it is headed east so watch out. Things are a wet mess around here and I think we can say that the California drought has come to an end.

Here's a news flash. As we get older, we have to do a better job of maintining our health. You should be on a first name basis with your doctor and you really need to do what he is telling you to do. The alternative is not conducive to being healthy enough to drive your Falcon wagon when it finally does stop raining. Get my drift?

Veach

« Reply #7 on: Feb 21, 2017, 11:05:41 AM »

Yes Sir I do and I'm headed to the shop as we speak to get her ready for the headliner
Today in Texas it's going to be in the 80s. Sorry to hear about y'all being hit so hard. My Son was there a few weeks working and he was more than ready to come back to Texas

Veach

« Reply #8 on: Feb 26, 2017, 04:01:49 PM »

Now my Son is back in your part of the World. I'd like to have him home for a couple weeks. So y'all stop all that flooding so I can
Say what's a fair price for having a headliner put in my wagon. With me already having all the parts including headliner ?
Pages: [1]   Go Up