FalconEarlyBirds~The Round Body Years 1960-1963 1/2

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Moderated By: bob  &  bkmaurer

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 62 Falcon differential  (Read 925 times)

62falcon

62 Falcon differential
« on: Feb 25, 2017, 11:30:18 AM »

I have pulled my differential out of my 4 door 6cyl 170 to have rebuilt. In trying to order a rebuild kit online most refer to the Ford 8 or 9 inch. Differentials are not my strong point, I know I don't have a 9 inch and the plate bolted on the differential is as follows....

C2DA 4001 B 504
3.50      1KC

I understand the 3.50 is the gear ratio however I just want make sure I order the right parts. Will also need axle shaft bearings and seals, ring and pinion. Any good referrals to quality budget friendly sites?

oldbleu

• Atascadero, CA
Re: 62 Falcon differential
« Reply #1 on: Feb 26, 2017, 03:35:05 AM »

It sounds like you have the stock, original equipment rear end in your Falcon. This rear end is designed to work with relatively low horsepower power plants (100-150) and is found in most all early Falcons with 6 cylinder engines. They are not known for performance use and have a limited selection of gear ratios.

Sometimes referred to as Salisbury type rearends, they typically have a bolt on cover on the back side of the housing and do not have a drop out center section like the stronger Ford 8" and 9" rearends. Your rear end has a 7 1/4" ring gear and is typically rebuilt with the complete rearend housing in the car.

The above picture is what your rear axle assembly should look like. I can't help you with specifics on parts as I have not done anything with these rearends except tear them out and replace them with the much stronger eight or nine inch models. Rebuilding any rearend requires a certain among of expertise and some special tools to do it right. I don't know what your skill level and experience is, but typically, a rear axle rebuild is not something you would do at home for the first time. That doesn't mean you can't do it. I would spend the extra money and take the car to an experienced, reputable shop and have it done.

As for locating the parts needed to rebuild your existing rear axle, I would check with Melvin's Classic Ford Parts in Georgia or Falcon Parts in California. Mac's would be another place to try. If your '62 project involves a possible drive train upgrade, then you might as well install a complete 8" rear axle assembly. It will cost you more money than rebuilding what you have, but it will be able to handle a V-8 of moderate horsepower. You will also be upgrading to 5 lug wheels and bigger rear brakes at the same time.

The above picture shows the Ford eight inch rear axle assembly in a '62 Falcon sedan. It is equipped with an optional bolt on rear sway bar for enthusiastic driving in the twisties.  I believe this rear axle assembly came out of an early '70's  Maverick. There is a thread showing the complete replacement process in a '63 Ranchero here on the Falcon Early Birds. I hope all of this is of some help. Good luck with your project.

62falcon

« Reply #2 on: Feb 26, 2017, 12:27:44 PM »

Hello oldbleu, thanks for the response and the pictures. Your first pic is what I have, the low horsepower stock 3:50:1  I have checked out the Ranchero differential thread a while back and found it very informative. I was originally going to replace a right rear axle seal as I noticed a leak dripping onto the inside tire when I was under the car doing other repairs. Upon removing the axle I thought why not remove the cover so that the gear oil can be replaced. Well...upon removal of the cover I discovered  a broken tooth on the ring gear staring at me. I decided to drop the rear end to take to the local full service mechanic for rebuild. The last time I had my hands on a differential gear set and used a dial indicator was sometime over 25 years ago in automotive class. So I agree with you that it's best to let someone with experience handle this. I understand the process, just don't have the correct tools.     Another concern I have is the brakes...when I removed the passenger side rear drum I discovered the forward shoe anchor pin missing and the spring and retainer rolling around inside the drum. Upon removing the driver side drum (attached picture) I found the retaining spring cap worn down as well. This appears to be the result of pins that were too long being used when the brakes were done. When I bought this project car I thought the brakes were good per what the previous owner said. When I had it in the shop for a transmission service, the mechanic said it needed brakes as well, so I let them do it. I have no problem doing brakes myself but in this case I thought it would save me some time....they did replace the drums as well and the new drums have an inside raised lip that seem to have rubbed on the spring cap. I honestly believe though that it's an issue of the pins being too long as I've heard that the spring and cap are not supposed to protrude past the edge of the brake shoe, and the ones on there now do that. Current pins are 2 1/4" and looks like I need about 1 3/4" - 2". Any advise is greatly appreciated!

oldbleu

• Atascadero, CA
« Reply #3 on: Feb 26, 2017, 02:18:57 PM »

The ring gear looks like it is worn out. Without even considering the fact that it has a broken tooth, it appears to be very tired. Since you seem to have made up your mind about rebuilding the exisitng rear axle, pulling it out of the car is a good way to go. It should make things easier for who ever does the repair. 

The brake situation seems to be the result of poor mechanics. Skill in rebuilding drum brakes is just about the most basic aspect of being a mechanic yet it seems like many people just can't seem to get it right. I agree that something is wrong with the anchor pins that were installed in your Falcon. I would start over and begin rounding up a new set of correct brake parts. The normal Falcon parts vendors that were previoulsy mentioned should be able to help you as well as RockAuto. There were a ton of those rearends made and you should not have too difficult of a time finding the correct parts.

I recommend you choose your mechanic wisely. I would go with a reputable shop that specializes in setting up a rear axle assembly. Lots of guys will tell you they can do it, but you want to use the shop that has the expertise to do it correctly and who will warranty their work. Beta testing mechanics generally doesn't work very well. It may cost a little more in the beginning, but it very well could be cheaper in the long run.

Keep in mind that relatively few mechanics have significant hands on experience with your 55 year old car. Most weren't even born when your car came down the assembly line. That means you will have to be the quality control expert and final inspector when you pay somebody else to work on your Falcon. Get a service manual and read thourgh the different Falcon forums so you can become somewhat of an expert. Don't rely on somebody else to do it right. You will have to confirm that whatever work performed on your car has been done correctly regardless of who does it (even if that is you).

I do most of the work myself, but I know where my limitations are. For instance, I can build an engine with ease, but I don't set up rearends. I just don't have the need that often to make it worth while for me. I also don't do body and paint, but some guys love to do that stuff. Just check out the work "smudvapor" is doing with his '63 Ranchero. Sometimes I know just enough to get myself into trouble. My point is that you have to know when to have a certain aspect of repair done by a professional. You want to avoid having to do it over a second time to get it right. The goal is to set yourself up for success.    8)

Veach

« Reply #4 on: Feb 26, 2017, 04:09:26 PM »

Awesome response Oldbleu
I have rebuilt one diff and that was enough for me and I use to rebuild Roadranger 15 speeds
« Last Edit: Feb 26, 2017, 04:12:11 PM by Veach »
Post Something It Don't Hurt

62falcon

« Reply #5 on: Feb 26, 2017, 04:32:36 PM »

Thanks guys, yes the advise on the expertise of local mechanics is great advise. An older car is best known by older mechanics I've found. I have found a really good (well aged) transmission guy and now I believe I have a knowledgeable guy with differentials. He has a shop close to the house and has been in business for a long time.

Thanks also for the lead on brake parts, I'll check that out. I'm off now to put in he new carpet that came a few days ago. Heater cables and other parts should be here tomorrow. I'll keep you posted.

hotrodguy

« Reply #6 on: Feb 27, 2017, 09:13:31 AM »

HI  62,  been thru what you are going thru, bew  replacement ring and pinion gears are not available  your only choice is to find a good used one. A bearing set is available from Sierra Gear, Don't give up, find a good differential shop to do this, they will get it right .  Good luck. 

62falcon

« Reply #7 on: Jun 29, 2017, 10:50:28 AM »

Just an update....finally found a donor rear end with 2:73 gears instead of the 3:50 like what was in the car. Went with that, I have not had a huge noticeable difference. At least does better at higher speeds and the wife is happy it's on the road again. Thanks for all the suggestions and help.

oldbleu

• Atascadero, CA
« Reply #8 on: Jun 30, 2017, 03:07:04 PM »

Happy wife....Happy life!

Veach

« Reply #9 on: Jun 30, 2017, 09:21:02 PM »

AMEN
Post Something It Don't Hurt
Pages: [1]   Go Up