FalconEarlyBirds~The Round Body Years 1960-1963 1/2

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This is a Ford Falcon Enthusiast site only, Not Affiliated with Ford Motor Company...

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ford Ranger swap question  (Read 225 times)

Ben555banta

Ford Ranger swap question
« on: Aug 13, 2017, 09:23:19 AM »

Just bought me a 61 falcon, with a 170 i6 and the cruise o'matic trans, Im wondering how much work/modification would be necessary to put a 4 cylinder 5 speed from a Ranger in it, not looking for power, just a cruiser, and i6 motors are hard to find around my area. Thanks in advance

oldbleu

• Atascadero, CA
Re: Ford Ranger swap question
« Reply #1 on: Aug 14, 2017, 02:51:26 PM »

I think the installation of a four cylinder Ford engine in a Falcon is a worthwhile upgrade. I believe the later versions of the Ranger four banger were fuel injected, but if I was to do it, I would try to find a late '80's vintage Thunderbird Turbo Coupe and pulling the entire drive train out. The biggest issue with using the 5 speed is the location of where the floor shifter will come out inside the passenger compartment. Typically the shifter is too far back from the firewall and winds up in the middle of the Falcon bench seat. However, I am not sure where the Ranger version of the 5 speed would come out. Running an automatic would be another option. Otherwise you should figure on installing a clutch pedal and most likely a hydraulic clutch throw out bearing actuator setup.

The only other potential issues would be fabbing up a set of motor mounts and integrating the wiring harness. Since the four banger is not as long as the Falcon six cylinder engine, there won't be any significant space problems under the hood. If I were to build another Falcon, I would seriously consider going the four cylinder route. I think it would be an interesting project for sure.
Pages: [1]   Go Up