FalconEarlyBirds~The Round Body Years 1960-1963 1/2

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This is a Ford Falcon Enthusiast site only, Not Affiliated with Ford Motor Company...

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wheel and trunk paint colors.  (Read 38 times)

Hawkeye

Wheel and trunk paint colors.
« on: Jan 07, 2018, 09:29:20 AM »

I recently was able to purchase a '62 and '64 Futura. Were the wheel rims and trunk interior painted the same color as the body of these cars or black? Thanks for the information.

Bob

• Administrator
Re: Wheel and trunk paint colors.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2018, 10:40:07 AM »

I'm almost sure the engine compartment the trunk and the wheels are painted the same as the exterior of the car, but I may be wrong on the wheels.

Hawkeye

« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2018, 08:32:10 AM »

Thank you Bob.

oldbleu

• Atascadero, CA
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2018, 04:08:42 AM »

I am thinking Bob is correct. 1963 and up Falcons had a black engine compartment and a body color trunk which was sprayed all at once, before the gas tank was installed. 1960-61 Falcons had a body color engine compartment (firewall, inner fenders and shock tower supports) with a black radiator and core support. I want to say the '62 Falcons were the same as the '60-61's, but I am not positive. I think it is safe to say all Falcon trunks were painted body color from the factory.

When I restored my '63, I had the trunk sprayed with Zolotone. It is supposed to be more durable than regular paint. Since I hardly ever put anything in the trunk, it was probably a waste.

Many Falcon owners paint their engine compartments semi-gloss black regardless of year, especially if there is an engine change going on. It is easy to prep the engine compartment and spray paint it while the engine is out. You don't have to worry about matching the body color either.

As far as the wheels, I think they were body color until '63 when Ford painted them all black.
« Last Edit: Jan 13, 2018, 04:10:59 AM by oldbleu »
Pages: [1]   Go Up