FalconEarlyBirds~The Round Body Years 1960-1963 1/2

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This is a Ford Falcon Enthusiast site only, Not Affiliated with Ford Motor Company...

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: '63 hood chrome piece fit a '60  (Read 6323 times)

lwblumjr

Re: '63 hood chrome piece fit a '60
« Reply #15 on: Jul 25, 2007, 07:24:29 PM »

CushRocks - The 60-61 hood has a more slope in front whereas the 62-63 hood is more flat. If you put a 63 hood on a 60 the hood will stick up higher than the fenders giving a look like the hood needs to be closed another inch. If you really in love with the 63 hood and need it bad enough you need to swap fenders, radiator support, and grille.
Jeff,

Actually, the '62/'63 hood and fenders are a bit shorter than the '60/'61 hood and fenders.  The guy in our local club with the florecent yellow and black '61 Ranchero put a '63 hood on his Ranchero because his was rotten and he could not find a good early hood.  I saw it before he "fixed" it and the hood was shorter at the end and needed to be extended and filled to match the fenders.  http://falconclub.0catch.com/daves61.html
Larry W. Blum, Jr.
Walnut Hill, FL

1bad6t

• My 60 Falcon
« Reply #16 on: Jul 26, 2007, 09:50:39 AM »

Thanks for the correction Larry.

http://1bad6t.com/falcon.html
Jeff in Georigia
60 Tudor V8
64 V8 Tudor Wagon

fastford

« Reply #17 on: Jul 27, 2007, 10:31:57 AM »

Originally I had fabricated a fiberglass duct to go through the fender well and exit under the bumper. The entrance was quite wide and slowly narrowed down in order to get as much ram effect as possible. Since I have a programable fuel injection system I can moniter engine manifold vacuum and temperature. The ram worked....about 1/4 lb of boost but I kept tearing the intake apart on parking lot bumps etc. When I shifted to the current set up I lost the ram effect but the temperature came down. I think the intake so low was picking up hot air from the asphalt pavement in summer. Without the dual snorkel my air intake temperature was measured at 140 degrees. Now it is only slightly above the outside temperature. The intake on the front as shown in the picture should give the best of both worlds.

CushRocks

« Reply #18 on: Jul 27, 2007, 06:25:16 PM »

I would definately think that if the air duct was down near the bumper then it would get water and rocks in it, and like you said, break on speedbumps and curbs. I plan to locate mine at the near top of the radiator mount though. I would think the grille would protect it from rocks and larger objects. Also, the  air has more of a straight shot to the engine that way, it doesnt have to curve upwards (which I would think would slow it down). Sofar, I cant find a better place to put the duct.

1bad6t

• My 60 Falcon
« Reply #19 on: Jul 27, 2007, 08:29:36 PM »

Back in the day Ford used either 5" or 6" duct. But then again it took up a lot of room.

Jeff in Georigia
60 Tudor V8
64 V8 Tudor Wagon

CushRocks

« Reply #20 on: Jul 27, 2007, 10:16:26 PM »

heyyy, good thinkin 1bad6t. I didn't even think about size of the duct. too much air would be bad just as too litle would be. Now, you say 5" or 6". Is that the recomended size persay?

1bad6t

• My 60 Falcon
« Reply #21 on: Jul 27, 2007, 11:23:26 PM »

Iím no physics, just a country boy down in Georgia, but I will take a stab on why I think they used such a big duct. Itís like sticking your hand out the window while driving down the road. Turn your palm in the wind it pushes hard against your hand, turning your hand so the wind is hitting the side itís less drag and not pushing as hard. Think of the big ducts as a blower on a top fuel funny car. A blower forces air into the engine. My theory is the more volume of air in the duct ..the harder it pushes. In the real world this pressure is nowhere near what a blower can produce and shouldnít be use in the same sentence. So too much duct is not a bad thing. I'm sure the pressure loss from point A to point B plays a big part to in the equation. You will need to tinker with the idle mixture and possibly change jet size to optimize the performance. I could be all wrong in my assumptions. (ÖBut I have to admit it did sound good at the time)  :)

Jeff in Georigia
60 Tudor V8
64 V8 Tudor Wagon

CushRocks

« Reply #22 on: Jul 28, 2007, 10:40:57 AM »

Damn, I thought you were a humble country boy fromt he suth of Georgia... that did sund good, im going to have to read that a few times... haha

Okay I read it over, analyzing your word and I disagree (finally).
First I would like to start at the reasons for doing somehting like this
As is addressed in my page "Efficiency -vs- Volume Increases", some of the power produced by a motor is used by the motor to run.  It takes horsepower to drive the water pump, fuel pump, and oil pump.  The same thing applies to drawing fuel and air into a motor.  With every intake stroke, horsepower produced by the motor  is used to draw fuel air mix into the motor.  By forcing the air in rather than drawing it in we are eliminating the use of that horsepower and reclaiming it at the flywheel.  Those are free horses with no penalty to fuel economy.
-A tech article at dazecars.com

I think that too much air would be a bad thing. consider the human body, in essence it is just like an engine. It needs fuel, requires oxygen and has exhaust  : : ). In the human body, our lungs can only inflate so much before popping, thats why we exhale. Just like a valve would burst under too much pressure before the piston is able to mix it with the gas and expand again. If you look at the picture being discussed it narrows down at the top of the carb, for the reason of ensuring the engines saftey. Basically what Im trying to say is that you can only pack so much air into something before it pops.
Does this sound at all lodgical?

« Last Edit: Jul 28, 2007, 03:33:57 PM by CushRocks »

LaGrasta

« Reply #23 on: Aug 21, 2007, 12:30:52 PM »

I'm using a K&N Harley air cleaner on my 170ci with stock exhaust manifold. With all this talk about foroced cold air induction, it makes me wonder, am I suffocating my engine? I'm most interested in mpg, not speed.

1bad6t

• My 60 Falcon
« Reply #24 on: Aug 21, 2007, 03:56:57 PM »

Okay I read it over, analyzing your word and I disagree (finally).
http://www.airram.com/faq.php?categoryid=5

Jeff in Georigia
60 Tudor V8
64 V8 Tudor Wagon

CushRocks

« Reply #25 on: Aug 27, 2007, 11:10:55 PM »

Im sorry.. but ive read that thing four times now and i cannot find where it says that Too big is a problem...

fastford

« Reply #26 on: Oct 11, 2007, 10:31:29 AM »

I made two cold air ducts with a large...VERY LARGE duct that tapered into the cold air intake. Since I have a programable fuel injection on my engine I could calculate the difference. It is around .25 to .75 lbs. A noticeble increase in pressure but not so noticeble in driving. By the same token I can FEEL the difference the K&N filter makes.

Put a set of headers on the falcon 6 with a port divider and look for a rear end with taller gears. Some of the station wagons came out with positraction.

pc31

« Reply #27 on: Apr 28, 2008, 05:03:04 AM »

safe to call the chrome a boomerang????
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up