Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Paint  (Read 2147 times)

CushRocks

Paint
« on: Aug 27, 2007, 11:05:48 PM »

Alright guys, bondo work and primering is FINISHED.
So whats next, do i call and get quotes? So far Earl Scheib is the one im looking to go to but im not sure...
then after I have a place picked out, Whats next? Can someone give me a rundown of how to get some color onto this beast.... pleeaseee. I mean, my car looks like 1bad6T's right now without the rims...  : : )

1bad6t

• My 60 Falcon
Re: Paint
« Reply #1 on: Aug 29, 2007, 12:57:00 AM »

Must be looking good the way it sits, I would leave it along now! But get some mags.

The secret to any paint job is body work. You can spend thousands on a paint job but if the body work has any defects it will be magnified 100 times with the shiny paint. The darker the color the more it shows. The guys at Earlís paint more cars in a day than most body shops paint in a month because thatís what they do all day long. Ask for the premium package. Do as much as you can by taping the chrome or removing as much as possible. Go over the car good with a quality degreaser before you drop it off. Make sure they are going to paint the door jams. Read up on the web about this subject. I'm sure this question was discussed on other forums

http://1bad6t.com/falcon.html
Jeff in Georigia
60 Tudor V8
64 V8 Tudor Wagon

CushRocks

« Reply #2 on: Sep 02, 2007, 12:15:18 AM »

Ahhhrrgg, thats what I was afraid of. Bodywork, might as well be the devil. while its all... "done", it may not be done to a admiring eye's view. i still have some finishing to do on that rear right wing, and there is a hole in the bottom of my drivers side door (I noticed that one today).
 good ole mother nature is bringing on 118 degrees F at 2:00PM, this may be a bit longer untill I get this painted. Not to meantion my lack of skill with bondo. It seems to always dry up on my as I am applying it to the car, and when it dires it ends up looking like that popcorn ceiling crap from the '80s.
dont mind my ranting, its been a long week for me, the house air conditioning broke... 300$ suprise... I didnt want to pay another 300$ for some bloke to come out here and connect a few wires so I tried it myself. After 4 days of sitting back and looking at whats not connected or what is still broken... it was a simple switch that I had to push to reset the system... :bangh:
untill that was fixed the car waited. Oh, and one more thing 1bad6t, I'm just pulling ur leg, it does look good primer grey, but I think it would look better navy blue with a grey stripe down the side (in the valley that the body panels make from the front to the tail lights)  :-*

1bad6t

• My 60 Falcon
« Reply #3 on: Sep 02, 2007, 11:22:11 AM »

Have you considered taking your Falcon to a vocational collage and let them do the body and paint? The only draw back is the down time but it would be done right. The price would be cheap though, only cost would be for materials and maybe a long waiting list to get it in the shop.

I knew you were pullin' my leg. As far as a tu-tone paint. Naw, that look is not my cup of tea. Maybe on the square bodies if only the top panels were painted. Iím going back to baby blue. I have the right side quarter panel from a parts car now and looking for the left side.

Jeff in Georigia
60 Tudor V8
64 V8 Tudor Wagon

CushRocks

« Reply #4 on: Sep 02, 2007, 04:55:15 PM »

You know, I never thought about that. I am going into my first year of college, (starting on tuesday!). I might make a quick stop my the auto shop to see if that can be done. GOOD IDEA, i wouldn't have ever thought of that!
The paint, as for now, is all up in the air. Im still waiting for the money to pile up. waht do you think of a navy blue body and a lighter blue roof? I think that would be interesting.
 What are you doing with parts? from the looks of things your ready for paint as well?!

1bad6t

• My 60 Falcon
« Reply #5 on: Sep 02, 2007, 07:05:41 PM »

For some reason I like one color of paint on a round body. I also like the radator support to be painted black like they done it at the factory. Body color here hides the grille (see link below) I cut my wheel wells out back in my high school days to fit wider tires. I didn't think ahead on what was behind the quarter panel. When the metal hit the floor I looked up and saw the inter wheel house. :o :( A few weeks later I rolled my Falcon over in a ditch playing in the rain. It crunched the quarter panel flat and it looked like a 57 chevy fender. The front fender hit the street sign before it came through the windshield. When we rolled the car back on all fours the whole side was bent up except for the door. It only had dead wet grass stuck to it. So I have been kicking myself to get the quarter panel fixed rite since 1974 and now is the time to git-r-done. Bondo don't last a life time when it is caked on this thick. I hope I can make the left wheel well opening with regular sheet metal. My friend does custom body work and is willing to help me out at his shop and do a mini tub then paint. Check out his '65 Falcon that he built. http://1bad6t.com/sec/images/Mike/Mike/index.html

Jeff in Georigia
60 Tudor V8
64 V8 Tudor Wagon

CushRocks

« Reply #6 on: Sep 02, 2007, 08:29:20 PM »

Alright fair enough, Like I said, everything is up in the air right now with the paint since I 'aint got me no money. But Now I see why you need a new panel... hahahaha. you dont see that side in some of your other pictures on your site, very sneaky of you sir. Thats one hell of a story by the way, I would shoot myself in the foot If I ever flipped my baby over. Closest thing I have to that is backing up into one of them ford Econoline vans, crunching in my poor little right rear fender. Now that I hear about street signs impaling winshelids and ford fenders magically turning into chevy fenders... I see that ive got 'nutin.
Well, youv'e got good friends and thats a lifesaver, unfortunately I am the closest thing to mechanical Knowhow among my friends, and thats really not saying too much. I'll stick with the Beg-a-college Idea.

(And what the hell do I even say to yor buddies falcon...  :o... maybe that... but I wouldnt even consider it a falcon anymore, thats a bloody steroid pumped eagle! AMAZING)

61-58A

« Reply #7 on: Sep 26, 2007, 03:20:57 PM »

I've been doing the cheap paint job on my '61. $7.48 worth the paint, alot of elbow grease, and $20 or $30 in sandpaper, compound, and wax. Pros are it's cheap, Protects until you can put a nice paint job on it (if wanted) Will take a rough looking car and make it look good. Cons Looks good but not super shiney. Black is really black(dark gray). Fair amount of work to do over if you are going for a nicer job later. The paint is Rust-oleum gloss black cut with about 30% oms. Prep the body, sand with 320grit paper. I used a low pressure gun and applied three coats. Some have use foam roller less masking to do. Let it dry for a long time before compounding like three weeks. Lighty sand with 600grit then 1200grit compound then wax. As you can see I've got more to do but It's starting to look good. Please do not think that this will give you results like a $2or 3k job. It won't!!!! But will make a wonderful improvment! For more info look up on google.
Terry
Pages: [1]   Go Up